Wednesday, September 19, 2012 at 6:30 p.m.
For the past 12 years, the Windward Challenge has allowed us to get together as neighbors for a common cause and raise more than $920,000 for various non-profit organizations. This year we have selected KaBOOM! as the 2012 Windward Challenge recipient. Active people of all ages are welcome! Bring your family, including your dog, for a fun and healthy early evening activity. Last year, more than 500 people participated. This year, we will host post-race family-oriented activities along with the awards ceremony to thank participants for their support.
This year's highlights include:
- Windward Challenge Corporate Cup, register your team. Take home the prize!
- Virtual Runner Category. Want to participate in the Windward Challenge but your office located outside of Alpharetta? Here's how you can participate.
- Electronic timing and custom designed technical race shirts.
- Activities, games and prizes for adults and kids, like super slide, bungee run, space walk, ping pong and basketball pop-a-shots, as well as massage tables for racers, face painters and a dog area for racing puppies.
- Personal testimonials from the nonprofit beneficiary's participants on the impact the organization has had in their lives.
- Great food: pre-race snacks and drinks and post-race snack for all palates.
- Great music, warm-up activities and fun race atmosphere all around!
Windward Challenge Corporate Cup Rules
- The LexisNexis Windward Challenge Corporate Cup is open to teams of employees from corporations, businesses, and financial institutions. Company and employee eligibility determinations shall be made exclusively by LexisNexis and racing Solutions, Inc. All decisions shall be final. Verification of eligibility must be provided upon request.
- Employees of non-business organizations (e.g., federal, state, and municipal governments, quasi-governmental organizations and educational institutions) may compete and score only if they are on a team from the same unit, branch, chapter, or school at which they are directly employed.
- Running clubs, unions, political, social, athletic, and/or similar organizations may not enter their members, volunteers, or other non-employees.
- Participants must be actively employed, prior to race day for the company they are representing. Temporary employees, employees on leave and contractors are eligible.
- Participants must be at least 18 years of age on the race date.
- Participants must be employed in the country in which the race is held.
- Each participant must register online in order to be officially entered and eligible to run AND enter the official name of their Corporate Team on the entry form.
- Each company must register a minimum of five entrants to form ONE complete team. Teams must be co-ed consisting of at least two female runners. Companies are only required to have one team of five, after which, any number of company participants are welcome. Incomplete teams and individual entries will not be accepted. Submissions are final: no additions will be allowed once the company entry is received by the local race coordinator.
- Participants must indicate the name of their team and select the timed race option when registering.
Race Day Rules
- All teams must register and indicate that each team member wants a timed-race.
- All participants must wear their assigned race numbers. Anyone found running with another person's number will be disqualified, and risks disqualification for the entire team. Race numbers must be clearly visible on the front of the torso during the race, displayed in full view, and may not be folded or cut in any way.
- Walker Policy: All walkers must start at the back of the field. They may not start in front of any runners, and may not start the race early. Walkers must complete the exact 3.1-mile course route and may not take optional or shortened routes. Violation of this policy may lead to disqualification of the entire company team.
- All team members must participate unaided. Roller skates, skateboards, rollerblades, baby joggers, roller skis, bicycles, strollers, or animals are strictly prohibited anywhere along the race course, if you on a registered team. Their use will result in disqualification of the individual runner and possibly the entire company.
- Each participant may be placed on only ONE scoring team.
- Each team will be scored based on the finishing time of the team's five fastest members. The team with the best overall cumulative time, will be declared the winner. Time verification is the final decision of the race officials.
- 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place teams will receive awards.
- Only teams with five finishers will be eligible for awards. Teams with fewer finishers than the number of "scoring runners" required will be awarded last place in their division.
- The five runners with the best times on a team will receive individual awards.
- Entry fees are non-refundable and non-transferable, even in the case of event cancellation.
- LexisNexis reserves the right to make additions, changes, or clarifications to these rules without prior notice to company teams or team members. LexisNexis will attempt to advise teams of any rule change prior to the race, but any such change shall be considered binding upon all company teams and participants whether or not they have received notice of the change prior to the race.
- LexisNexis reserves the right to reject or disqualify any entrant or team whose conduct is inappropriate to the spirit of the race. Individual disqualification may lead to the disqualification of the entire team and/or company for one or more races. It is expected that teams and team members will represent their company in the Windward Challenge Corporate Cup in a sportsmanlike and professional manner.
Windward Challenge Virtual 5K Rules
This year we would like to again In 2011 create a way for all LexisNexis Risk employees, particularly those not based in Alpharetta, to be able to participate in the Windward Challenge and help raise money for KaBOOM!. The result is the Windward Challenge Virtual 5K. It's easy to participate:
- Register for the Windward Challenge @ www.active.com by September 18, 2012. Include your office location on the registration form.
- Pay the $20 virtual fee race.
- Run/walk a 5K on September 19, 2012.
- Consider organizing a team with fellow employees and completing your 5K before work, during lunch or after hours. You can also complete it on the treadmill at home or in the gym.
- Once you have completed your race, see your Cares Champion for the t-shirt.
- The office with the highest percentage of employees participating will receive an award.
- Individual winners (male and female) from each office will also receive in an award.
We would like for you to send photos of your Virtual 5K experience to Monica Garrett. We will make them part of the 2012 Windward Challenge story.